Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Replacing kitchen canned lights in California - Title 24

Posted by bons (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 15, 13 at 15:00

I need to replace my current kitchen incandescent canned lights with LEDs (first choice) or fluorescent to meet Title 24 requirements.

Can my current canned lights be retrofitted and still be 'legal' or do I have to replace the entire canned light?

I hope I asked this question correctly - I don't know much about lighting.


Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Replacing kitchen canned lights in California - Title 24

Depends on the extent of your remodel.
The simplest is to use "drop in" replacements. This assumes that you're not redoing the lighting layout.

RE: Replacing kitchen canned lights in California - Title 24

You can still use incandescent, you just have to use lower wattages. They are making lower wattage lamps now that claim to have the same output as your originals. The problem - they burn out much more quickly.

Good luck!

(another Californian, that works with entertainment lights and has to deal with Title 24 all the time grrrr)

RE: Replacing kitchen canned lights in California - Title 24

I was told that drop-in replacements using an Edison base would not qualify in our jurisdiction as a high efficiency luminary. As it is with all situations, a lot depends on your local building inspectors. The regulations in kitchen are even more complicated than in other areas of the home. If you have already determined you will need to swap our your existing lights, then you may need to swap out the can to an air tight model with an acceptable (GU24 or proprietary) connector. There are provisions for existing luminaries, I think, as well as you could spend your "low efficiency" wattage on some noncompliant light. Your GC or electrician will be able to tell you.

RE: Replacing kitchen canned lights in California - Title 24

I am replacing all of the existing cans with Title 24 compliant air tight LEDs.

I have not seen written anywhere that I can use lower wattage incandescent.


RE: Replacing kitchen canned lights in California - Title 24

If you're replacing the cans, get gu24 cans or the halo led cans. Cree has a gu24 pigtail which can be spliced in place of the 2 pin Halo connector or for that matter, an e26 Edison base.
The intent of the new connector is to prevent people from fitting incandescent bulbs in the fixture. The gu24 or bi pin connectors are no more efficient than the e26 screw base.
Incandescent bulbs may only be used if you can satisfy the requirement that 50% of the lighting is provided from high efficiency sources. Even so, it will get progressively difficult to get incandescent bulbs.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here