Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
recommendations for replacing/updating track lights

Posted by gardenmom (GardenMom360@gmail.com) on
Sat, Mar 24, 12 at 14:44

Hi all.
My living room ceiling is looking VERY old and outdated. We built the house in 1989 and installed track lighting in the living room. The electric box is in the NE corner of the ceiling with 2 tracks, one running E-W along the wall with the TV and the other running N-S along the wall with a sofa and chair.
We talked about installing can lights, but the floor joists for the 2nd floor run E-W. We'd need to cut through a lot of joists for the wiring. Plus dealing with the ceiling. We weren't anxious to tear out the ceiling. The current lights are those big old spot lights (5 of them).
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: recommendations for replacing/updating track lights

The way I would approach the issue would be to figure out how much light is currently being produced (in terms of lumens) and if more light is needed.

Next would be the style followed by cost considerations.

Suspended tube lighting, a number of small retrofit cans (4"), cove or perimeter lighting could be considered.

o

New here. I was looking at Phillips Lighting USA last night for a home office. Check out the Dramalux for a more modern track. Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.lightolier.com/products/index.jsp?CATREL_ID=15521&BLK=N&CAT_ID=1081

o

What's the state of development for LED track lights? I've light the Cree CR6/HD Ecosmart 575 LED can lights in my kitchen. I have an old halogen track light that goes down the bedroom hallway both for general illumination and to highlight some artwork along the hallway walls.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here