Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Xenon vs. Halogen Under Cabinet Lighting

Posted by aflowerfreak (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 18, 09 at 14:26

Is there an advantage to using one over the other? I am looking at the Juno Pro line. The Xenon bulbs have a longer lifespan (10K hours vs. 6K for Halogen). I'm told the Xenon is a warmer looking light. Are there any other differences?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Xenon vs. Halogen Under Cabinet Lighting

I have not seen anything close to 6000 hours with the halogen. I vote for xenon.

o

You can handle Xenon bulbs with your bare hands, unlike halogen, and they do not get as hot. I think they are also supposed to be more efficient. Anyway, they are what we use in the cabinets we manufacture with interior lighting. The fixtures we use are bigger than LV halogen, however.

I thought Xenon was supposed to be cooler than warmer, but I couldn't tell from the ones I've seen. They did look a bit warmer, but that might have been the effect of the cabinet itself.

Lars

o

"I thought Xenon was supposed to be cooler than warmer, but I couldn't tell from the ones I've seen. They did look a bit warmer"

Warmer looking is cooler in temperature. Incandescent lighting is about 2700 degrees Kelvin. The "cool white" fluorescent office lighting from decades ago that most use as an example when they say they hate fluorescent is 4100 degrees Kelvin. Xenon appears to be more yellow and that is because it is a bit cooler than halogen.

o

Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here