Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dimmability of Cree LR6

Posted by poorowner (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 3, 09 at 13:59

I have 6 LR6 drawing 72W
I bought a Cooper Aspire smart dimmer.
The nice thing about the dimmer is that it ramps the light up to turn on and down to turn off.

Cree has told me it will not shorten the life by turning it off and on this way, but not increase the life either.

My question is will the dimmer make the LR6 flicker as it turns off the light slowly. I have enough load so it should just shut off cleanly below 20% mark. The dimmer is expensive, so I want to know if I should bother with this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dimmability of Cree LR6

We put in six LR6 lights in the kitchen and two in the dining room. One set flickered intermittantly even at full power when switched with a Lutron dimmer. I replaced the dimmer with a non-dimming switch - problem solved.

Dimming to 20% power is a lot brighter than I thought it would be, for a couple of reasons. Light perception is a logarithmic function i.e. a light dimmed 50% looks barely dimmer - and the converse - doubling the light output (lumens) will not "look" twice as bright. The other factor is that LEDs do not shift color temperature toward "warm" as they dim.

Will I replace the switch with a new, better dimmer? No. I don't think that dimming is all that important to me. Am I happy with my LR6s? Definitely!

o

Hi, thanks for your help, I suppose I won't bother with the dimmer since it does not dim at the same rate as incandescent lights, then the ramping effect of the dimmer will be useless.

Also I like it when it's 100% brightness in the kitchen anyway.

Do you have any pictures of your LR6 lighting up the rooms?

o

Hi poorowner, I just took this shot of the kitchen at night - lit only by the LR6's. The picture gives a pretty fair rendition of the color temperature.

Jeff

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen lit by LR6 lights

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here