Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lighting a dark hallway with a low ceiling

Posted by anzmd (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 31, 10 at 13:45

I am trying to come up with ideas for lighting for a dark hallway. It is in the center of the house, and currently has some semi-recessed square lights where the housing is recessed, but there is a square glass piece that sticks down about 2 inches. The ceiling is 7'6" or so.

My idea was to put up some crown molding and have thin undercabinet lights on top of that. Has anyone done this or seen this or heard of this or see any potential problems with this? Another option would certainly be to get some regular recessed lights. The ceiling is just very "busy" with vents and the attic access, so I am trying to think of ideas to minimize that.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lighting a dark hallway with a low ceiling

That would be interesting. A number of led sellers have pictures of led strips used in a similar fashion.

You'd probably need to use a low voltage transformer hidden away, perhaps in the attic, assuming 12V or 24V lighting.

As for wiring low voltage lights, you could pull standard low voltage or tape wiring.

o
RE: Lighting a dark hallway with a low ceiling

Some of the square fixtures are still made. If you are lucky and have Halo 8" or 10" squares you can still buy trims for them. The dropped glass lens was just one trim choice. There are other flush ones.

Here is a link that might be useful: Halo

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here