Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Halogen Torcherie repair

Posted by bearcat222 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 11, 13 at 13:36

Thank you for reading my message. I am a novice at lamp repair. I own a secondhand halogen torcherie that I would like to fix. There is very little information on the lamp. The base is stamped "PAF studio DUNA Design Mario Barbaglia Marco Colombo Milan Mad in Italy"

The ferrule surrounding the ceramic that goes around the contact is stamped "DMT-020-6/250" The "D" might be an "O"

I believe the contacts are so badly corroded/burned/worn that this is causing the light to keep turning off. I'd like to replace the contacts, but they appear to be integral to the wires. If I can crimp on new contacts, or just replace the whole wire-and-contact assembly, that would be great.

Can you suggest what I would need to buy, and from where? Thank you.

PS, yes I am aware that these lamps are extraordinarily dangerous and can start fires. If there were something safer that would put 300 watts of sunlight bounced off my ceiling, at an affordable price, I'd use that instead. I live on $900 a month social security, so a $100 to $300 lamp is out of the question. Thank you.
Edit/Delete Message

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Halogen Torcherie repair

Are you talking about the socket contacts?

They are not normally a replaceable/repairable item.

You replace the whole socket.

o

I have two and had to have a lamp repair service put a new switch in. It is the only thing I have found that I can read with at night.

You know the dangers connected with them I assume. They get very hot so keep the away from draperies and other flammables.

o

If the switch has failed you replace the switch.

Most use similar hole sizes ad mounting.
if it is an odd switch it might take more time to find one.

Sounds like someone picked a switch based on the running current of the bulb (watts/volts) and neglected that the initial starting current can be significantly higher for a few cycles of the AC power until the filament heats up (while the contacts are still bouncing a little bit, like every mechanical switch does on closing).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here