Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dimmer recommendation?

Posted by footwedge (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 13, 11 at 12:50

I will have 6 cree cr6's and 1 cr6 on separate switches. Which Lutron Diva dimmers do you recommend for each location?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dimmer recommendation?

The manufacturer says they are 10.5 watts each and "dimmable to 5 percent with most standard incandescent dimmers. "

Most common dimmers are rated at 600 watts.

o

I used the DIva's that are designed for LED/CFLs. Worked like a charm.

o

The manufacturer shows the light having no problems with conventional Triac incandescent dimmers.

All these units have switching (and well into tens of kilohertz at least) AC to DC power supplies.

It is NOT very hard to design the power supplies to tolerate the voltage waveform of a Triac dimmer.

Why use a more expensive part than even the manufacturer says will work?

o

I was looking at the diva series but prefer the toggle switch over the paddle. I plan to call Cree tomorrow but will ask here because of the knowledge. Will the lutron 600w incandescent switch operate the same in a toggle and paddle styles?

o

"Will the lutron 600w incandescent switch operate the same in a toggle and paddle styles?"

Same construction, a conventional Thyristor dimmer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here