Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to center DR chandelier over DR table

Posted by mama_mia (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 17, 11 at 12:41

Our dining room is rectangular, and the chandelier is in the center of the dining room ceiling. This makes sense in an empty room. However, because the hutch is on one long wall of the rectangle, and the buffet table is on a short wall, the dining room table is not in the middle of the room. To be above the center of the DR table, the chandelier should be about 24" to the north and 24" to the east of where it is.

This is particularly noticeable when I have some flowers or candles in the center of the table, because they are so obviously not below the chandelier. Same with hanging a decoration from the chandelier for a birthday party. Of course the lighting is also a big issue.

So, how to correct it? The hole for the chandelier could be moved, but this seems like such a big job for me, and too small of a job for a contractor. All furniture would need to be moved out and the ceiling would need to be patched and painted. Question: is this easier than I am imagining?

I was also wondering if a better / easier solution would be to just replace the chandelier with a track lighting fixture... are there any that have pendants with diffused lighting i.e. the lights shine up instead of down? Any other suggestions for this situation? Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to center DR chandelier over DR table

You might get a swag fixture with plenty of chain, and fix a hook where you want it. That way, when you decide to put the table somewhere else (or the next owner of the house does), the light is easily moved again.

o
RE: How to center DR chandelier over DR table

It can be very simple depending on the wiring.

It is not more than a one day job in many cases.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here