Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Converting to LED Path lights

Posted by dmoore66 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 16, 14 at 12:36

I presently have 22-11 watt path lights connected to a 600 watt transformer using 14 gauge wire.
I am going to buy 22 LED path lights with one watt bulb per fixture.
Do I need to buy a smaller transformer?
I would like to replace the old weathered wire. What gauge can I use for the lower wattage?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Converting to LED Path lights

Changing the power supply depends on the requisite voltage and current draw the new lights need. If there is nothing wrong with the wire and the anticipated current draw does not exceed the existing system, there is no need to replace it.

Otherwise, you'd need to use a wiring gauge calculator to figure things out.

o
RE: Converting to LED Path lights

The transformer is capable of lighting 600 watts, maximum. That doesn't mean it's pushing 600 watts. The transformer only pushes what's required by the lights, or in your case, 22 watts.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here