Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
In Shelf recessed under cabinet light decision help heat

Posted by polkadotcity (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 31, 09 at 12:35

Hi.

I love reading all your expert advice, and now need some directed at me.

My question: What kind of light can I put into a custom made shelf to shine down on the counter? WE have a shelf above all the counters, not cabinets.

We have a 2" thick shelf (actually hollow, but looks 2 inch thick) shelf all the way around the kitchen which sits about 16 inches above the counter top.

Our plan was to cut round holes in the bottom of the hollow shelf and to insert puck lights up into the space that would then shine down. And be dimmable.

We have been researching what to buy, and someone mentioned that puck lights of any kind will be too hot for an enclosed case setting as we have and will ultimately be a fire hazard.

What should we use for the necessary task lighting?
The only other light in the kitchen is a single fixture in the center of the ceiling. The room is about 9 by 10 feet. Walls on three sides and open to dining area on the fourth side.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: In Shelf recessed under cabinet light decision help heat

Puck, buttons, etc. are intended to be installed as you want. See the link for an example of a brand and how they may be used. Note also that these types of fixtures must be installed with class 2 wiring methods. One cannot use a big transformer with a bunch of these lights on it.

Here is a link that might be useful: WAC

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here