Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How Many LED Light Bars are Considered Adequate?

Posted by dyrmaker83 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 11, 13 at 12:12

I'm really interested in LED under cabinet lighting for our kitchen remodel, and would like to go with direct wire LED light bars (either Philips eW Profile or Maxlite). I've searched and searched, and can't find ANY guidelines on how much linear coverage is needed. We'll have a 13' run of cabinets including microwave above the range (cabinets from left to right: 18" - 30" - 24" - 33" - Microwave Hood - 24"). Assuming I went with 12" bars for either brand, how many are necessary?

I realize full coverage is ideal, with a couple inches between cabinets, but I'm trying to keep costs down. Does one bar for a 24" cabinet, and two bars for a 30" cabinet sound about right?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How Many LED Light Bars are Considered Adequate?

imo you should have ~ 200+ lumens per ft output (from the bar) to light up the immediate work area.

Some would like the appearance of uninterrupted light runs while those with traditional style UCL boxes have discontiguous light runs.

Since you will live with the kitchen for quite a while, plan to get the look you desire.

o

I have a little trouble translating lumens to number of light bars, but let me work this out to see if I have it right.

The primary workspace between the sink and the range is 57" (24" + 33" cabinets). Three of the Philips light bars, at 256 lumens each, add up to 768 lumens total across that workspace. If my math is correct, that only results in 161 lumens per foot or insufficient lighting. Is that basically how its done?

o

If you want the entire section of countertops and not just a small portion lit, you need to get either more or longer bars.

The eW profile and max lite bars come in different lengths that can be mixed (using eW profile bars 10" + 20") which makes it difficult to directly answer "how many bars should be used"

o

Thanks, this does help. I realize it may not be so simple when different bar sizes are available; I'm just trying to get an idea how much I'll need.

I do mean to cover the whole countertop run, but was using the center 24" and 33" cabinets as an example to give me an idea. Hopefully my calculated amount of lumens are correct, which points me in the right direction based on your helpful guidelines. I'm trying to get the amount of LEDs I need without breaking the bank.

I suppose the backsplash and countertop can be factors as well. Fortunately, we're going with white for both.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here