Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hardwire a GE Slimline flourescent?

Posted by biggyriggy (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 26, 12 at 11:50

Is there any good reason I can't cut the plug off and attach the wiring to a switch?

There is a label on the cord that says "Not for current interruption", but I can't think of any reason other than the plug makes sure you have the correct polarity.

Also, you think it's okay to splice wire to extend the interconnect wiring 5-6 feet?

Thanks,
Matt

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hardwire a GE Slimline flourescent?

This would be better posted in electrical wiring.

o

I don't know, but my electrician wouldn't do that. Said it was against code, which seemed odd to me. Anyway, I took them back, even though the woman at HD said you could do it and electricians did it all the time. I got the Utilitec ones from Lowe's and have been pleased so far. Can't see them under the cabinets, and we barely had an inch to hide them behind/under.

o

I did it! Or, an electrician did it for me. Trick is to get the 24772 junction box - you can run the proper wiring in the wall from the switch to the junction box, which then lets you plug in the lamps with their included link cables.

Here is a link that might be useful: GE Junction Box

o

"Said it was against code, which seemed odd to me."

Cord and plug equipment is not listed for use as permanent.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here