Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldbat2be

Outside lighting / your advice requested

oldbat2be
12 years ago

I posted in the home decorating forum but did not receive a lot of feedback (perhaps not the right forum?), so am posting a note here.

In short, I've included pictures of our front door area, as well as the house, and some light fixtures. Would love some more input!

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to post in home decorating forum

Comments (6)

• David
    12 years ago

A dimmable recessed light could be placed over the front door. Either a cr6 or cr4. Soffit lights or led strips can be used just under the soffits to provide perimeter lighting.

• LYDIAhy1959
    12 years ago

no, this is a good place, i would like to be friend with you here, lol
    we can learn much here

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks davidtay. I love my Crees but would prefer a softer light in this location. Yes, I know we can install a dimmer but DH has a tendency to constantly turn them all the way up. He likes the light and I like the ambiance.... I need to research soffit lights. Do you have any suggestions for LED soffit lights?

• David
    12 years ago

The diva cl dimmer can be adjusted such that the max is less than 90% of the max. The factory set max is 95%. So perhaps there's a happy medium somewhere.

I tend to like the Philips EW fuze wall washing lights as the output is great and the lights can be dimmed. It may be easier to install in a straight line than individual soffit lights.

Led soffit lights are mostly low voltage mini recessed lights. There are quite a number of vendors. Cast-lighting, checkolite are some vendors you may want to look at. The former has pathway lighting you might find interesting.

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I just received my second diva CL dimmer -- the first worked so well on one range of crees, that I ordered another. Thanks for the fuze wall light suggestions, too.

• a2gemini
    12 years ago

I just posted on your home decorating post

Your beautiful house is just asking for Hubbardton Forge lights - They have a couple models which should solve your light issues - warning - they do come with a price tag!!
    I picked out 2 possible ideas - but can't import from the catalog, so will have to send the link
    Both lights are dark sky complaint - so less light pollution.
    I like the first style for your house - for the porch, you could one on each side of the door (medium or large and allow the light to go up and down as light pollution not as much of a problem on the porch.

Then at the garage - go for the matching version but put on the top cover to prevent light from going up.

http://www.hubbardtonforge.com/ProductsInfo.cfm?Design=304903 I think the dark smoke would look stunning on your house.

Here is another dark sky compliant - I don't like it as much for your house
    http://www.hubbardtonforge.com/ProductsInfo.cfm?Design=306023

Just a caution on LED outside - if you have snow - the reflection off the snow lights up the world!!! The city put in LED street lights and the first night I looked out and thought it was just dusk - but was 9:00 at night in the winter!!

HF also has traditional lights but based on your concern about the bedroom next to the porch - I thought these would work.

If you already have ORB finish, I would match with the HF.

I would not worry about "matching" the post light - This is where you could bring out the house style.

Good luck!

PS - We put in the first one and they look great on our house and lots of compliments. I don't have any pictures yet but soon.