Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I use higher than recommended wattage in fixture?

Posted by jeannettec (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 10, 09 at 11:40

I bought a ceiling fixture approved for three 60-watt bulbs. I need more light in my home office. I called the store that sold me the light and the manufacturer to see if I could have the fixture altered to accept a total of 300 watts and neither could help me.

Can I get the fixture adjusted? What will happen if I use three 100-watt bulbs instead of the 60 watt bulbs recommended?

Thanks.

Jeannette

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I use higher than recommended wattage in fixture?

The reason they limit bulb wattage in any fixture is based on the heat (not light) put out by incandescent bulbs. Compact fluorescent or LED bulbs put out much less heat per amount of light emitted. If you put three 100 watt regular (incandescent) bulbs into that fixture, you risk a fire or at least damaging the fixture and ceiling.

You should be able to safely run three CF bulbs that each put out the equivalent light of a 100 watt bulb.

o
RE: Can I use higher than recommended wattage in fixture?

Thanks, Jeff! I tried three fluorescent bulbs and they work well. They turn on right away at a lower wattage but, in about a minute, they are at full brightness. I never liked florescent lighting because the old kind used to flicker when turned on but I see they've made big improvements. Your suggestion also had a side benefit. My printer and my overhead light must be on the same line because when I used to print something, the overhead light would flicker for about 15 minutes until the printer went back "to sleep."

With the florescent bulbs, the flicker is much less and only for as long as the printer is actually printing. I was going to have an electrician rewire the overhead light but now I may be able to live with it! Thanks again,

Jeannette

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here