Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Changing flush-mount ceiling lights

Posted by linelle (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 28, 09 at 11:34

I have 3 flush-mounted ceiling lights in my hall (9-ft. ceilings) that are vintage 1991 cheap hideous. I'm having my house's entire interior painted soon and it's time for these ugly things to go. In keeping it simple and staying within budget, I'd like to replace them with more updated fixtures. Is it as easy as it sounds? I know about turning off the power. Then just matching up the wires? Is this something I can do alone? I don't use the hall lights that much (thanks to a Solatube), except at night when I need to see something in the laundry room. Do I have to use fluorescent bulbs?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Changing flush-mount ceiling lights

Yes you can do it. Just don't trust that you have the power off till you actually test it. You should put a note on the switch that disabled the power that you may be killed if anyone turns it back on before you finish.

The trick is in holding the fixture while you make the wire connections. Professional electricians have three hands or a clever way to accomplish this alone. Test your wire connection by tugging a bit on each wire while holding the wirenut to make sure the wires are secure. If things didn't go well when inserting into the wirenut they'll often pop right out when you do this step.

Please explain your fluorescent question.

o
RE: Changing flush-mount ceiling lights

Thanks dim4fun. Sounds like I might want to have an assistant holding the fixture (on a separate ladder) while I'm doing the wires.

The fluorescent question. I don't like the look of fluorescent light. Do all fixtures use both fluor. and incand. bulbs, or do I need to ask when I'm at the store? I was just afraid there's some Go Green Edict that might force me to use fluorescent.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here