Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cfl bulb omitting odor

Posted by kamake (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 23, 13 at 11:28

I was wondering if anyone here can answer my question..My garage was filled with a toxic odor, which I thought there was something wrong with my boiler when I discovered that a cfl bulb was burnt out and there was a red glow to base of bulb. Has this happened to anyone? There is new wiring in garage that has been done 6 months ago, and bulb was fine until recently. I've read there isn't much mercury in these bulbs but why such an odor?? This is very concerning to me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cfl bulb omitting odor

The magic electronic smoke has escaped.

Throw it out and install a new one.

Electrolytic capacitors (especially) stink pretty bad when one fails by burning up (and they do not like cold temperatures (below 0F is a common limit)).

o

One other point-don't install the CFB upside down due to fire hazard. They are made for upright installation. Check where your CFB is made: cheaper models were associated with more fire risk. There's a thread about this on GW somewhere, maybe on "lighting".

o

"One other point-don't install the CFB upside down due to fire hazard. "

Some are made for base up installation now.

You have to read ALL the package data, and sometimes even the spec sheet from the manufacturer.

o

Once again, thank you brickeyee!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here