Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
MR16 bulbs - Sealed or Open?

Posted by helou (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 14, 13 at 11:17

I've got track fixtures which take Halogen MR16 bulbs. It seems to me (please correct me if I'm wrong) that I can either
1) Use "open" bulbs, which then get covered by a glass plate which comes with the fixture, and attaches with clips, or,
2) Use sealed bulbs and put away the fixture-supplied glass plates.

Is there an advantage to one over the other? I'll be using the Ushio Superline Reflekto (coated back) bulbs. They're available either open or sealed.

Thanks for any guidance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: MR16 bulbs - Sealed or Open?

You might want to consider LED lamps. While the lamps themselves are more expensive than halogen lamps, they use about 1/6th the amount of power, last many times longer, and current ones are quite bright.

The photo below is one I took comparing a 50 watt Sylvania halogen (left side) to a Philips 10 watt LED lamp (right side). The LED beats the halogen in a number of ways. I must note though that the halogen lamp probably had 1-2k hours on it, so was probably not as bright as a new one. I bought the Philips at Home Depot. At the time, they were rated at 435 lumens. Current ones are rated at 500 lumens, so are even brighter.

If I were looking today, I would also consider the new Cree LM16. But they are a bit pricier than the Philips lamps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Halogen vs LED MR16s

o
RE: MR16 bulbs - Sealed or Open?

Thank you wws944, after all this time for the advice about getting the LED. I am now looking to replace the halogen MR 16s with LED equivalents. I would love to buy the Cree, but right now they seem to be selling for about $40 each, which seems very high.
I may bite the bullet and get the Cree, though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here