Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Light Plan - No Undercounter Lights

Posted by geralds34 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 11, 10 at 11:10

Attached is our kitchen plan. We do not intend to install the upper cabinets next to the stove initially, to see if we really need them. So, the only upppers are by the sink. There is a small bulk head between the kitchen and dining room(where old wall was), it is 5" wide, and hanges down 3".

Currently, there are two ceiling boxes on separate switches, with simple builder type fixtures, they are the GREEN boxes in the diagram.

Would pot lights provide enuf light, with out shadows on the work area, if mounted 24" out from wall? The RED dots show where I think I'd put recessed lights - not sure of size.

Would long track lighting be more effective, and a substantial savings?

Not sure we want pendants over the peninsula, they seem to block the openness.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Light Plan - No Undercounter Lights

Sorry I can't advise. You are thinking of taking the opposite approach that I did. I went for undercabinet lighting and nixed the cans. I hadn't had undercabinet lighting before and have now had for two days. I don't know how I lived without it!

o
RE: Light Plan - No Undercounter Lights

Hi, I am not a designer, but had my kitchen remodelled by one about 5 years ago. I have recessed pots (Par20) in two rows, spaced between 4 and 8 feet (I have an old house with odd-shaped kitchen). It is good for ambient light, and will be a replacement for the builder's fixtures. For a kitchen, I think you also need task lighting. I have pendants over the peninsula and undercabinet lighting near the sink, and at both prep areas. Presumably you will have a task light on the fan over your stove, so now you just need a task light over the peninsula, and maybe over the sink. They have "mini pendants" that are very unobtrusive or to preserve the openness, use small tracks.

o
Doraville - what lights did you use?

Hope you are in Doraville, GA. I'd love to talk with you about what you used for your under cabinet lighting. Could you directly email me??? Thanks.

Rosie, in Sugar Hill

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here