Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LED recessed lighting questions

Posted by live4ever (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 5, 12 at 11:03

We are in the middle of a kitchen remodel (well, for a while now). Due to other reasons, we decided to open up the ceiling and replace with drywall, which affords us the opportunity to put in recessed lighting quite easily.

My wife likes the size of 4" recessed lights and doesn't want to go any bigger. We were originally going to use 50W GU10 halogen fixtures (Lithonia, HD), which put out 400 lumens each and can easily be used as new construction. These would cost approx. $25 per fixture. The downside to converting to LED bulbs on the GU10 fixtures in the future seems to be that the LED bulbs currently available for GU10 only put out 200 lumens. Is this true?

Although we were aware of LED and specifically Cree, it seemed out of the budget at $150+ per fixture. However, HD has begun offering 3, 4, and 5" LED kits from Lithonia, which run $60 per fixture. That cost is more tolerable. The 4" put out 400 lumens. I am wondering if anyone has experience with these? Or, alternative products that put out a similar amount of light?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LED recessed lighting questions

Look at the CREE CR4 (also known as the ECO4-575). It's currently exclusively available from the HomeDepot @ $49.95.

o

Thank you David. Also for all the helpful lighting info you've posted throughout the forum. What new construction housing would you recommend for the CR4s (we are in T24 country)? The price is right on the lamps.

o

You're welcomed.

The housing could be something like the HI99CAT. However, according to T24, the HI99CAT will not qualify as a high efficiency housing since it has the E26 base connector.

Nora Lighting has a 4" recessed housing with the GU24 base. To use that housing, you need to get the GU24 whip adapter.

o

Two things - both at Home Depot: First, if you are on a very tight budget and need a lot of them, the Edison screw base CR-6 has recently dropped to $25 (at least in our neck of the woods). This is one heck of a deal. The GU24 version is still at $40.

Second, the Ecosmart GU10 lamp is rated at 320 lumens. I have not tried one yet, so can't vouch for its performance. However you might want to check it out. (Has anyone else here tried it?)

o

Thanks to both of you. Lots of very helpful info and much to think about!

o

I have recently been looking at the eco4 and Nora housing combo. Just saw that Nora now offers a Cree based led solution,their diamond series. The Nora led runs triple the cost of the eco4. Anyone have an idea what you get with the Nora diamond led vs the eco4 other than a larger bill?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here