Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Real candle version of RH's 'Pillar Candle Chandelier'?

Posted by coastal_modern_love (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 29, 11 at 10:33

I am looking for a version of Restoration Hardware's "Pillar Candle Chandelier" that is not hardwired, and actually holds candles. I realize I could probably make one, but I am wondering if anyone has seen anything similar out there as another option. I have seen the tea light holder at Zgallerie, but lighting 40 tiny tea lights that will last only hours seems daunting as opposed to big pillars that will last much longer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Real candle version of RH's 'Pillar Candle Chandelier'?

Forty candles! Wow! That was probably fine in the 18th and 19th centuries when homes and concert halls were wide open and drafty. But in a well sealed 21st century home, it could mean significant odor, degradation of the air quality in the room, and soot stains on the ceiling.

Part of the problem is that today's candles often aren't very good. At least around here, most of the big candles I find are either one-of-a-kind hand-made items, or else they're cheap imports, usually from China. The latter often don't burn well (lousy wicks) or cleanly (impure wax). The former are quite pricey and sometimes don't burn much cleaner.

With that caveat out of the way, it looks like a pretty simple chandelier to make. If you don't have the tools and/or time, I'd suggest visiting a renaissance fair or craft festival in your area, and making contact with an ironworker who accepts commissions.

Hope this helps!

o
RE: Real candle version of RH's 'Pillar Candle Chandelier'?

Thanks for the tip! If I don't find anything, I will look into contacting an ironworker or maybe asking the carpenter on my current project for "help". I am sure he can come up with ideas/materials AND labor!

That was my issue with the tea lights, the task of lighting, and the residual smell and soot. I have quite a few of the flameless pillars that I use outside and could mix those with 3 or 4 real to get the effect I want as opposed to 40.

Pottery barn had a version a few years back if anyone remembers this, it is the look I'm going for. Still would appreciate a spotter to send me a link if you've seen anything in your own travels!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here