Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Glimpse LED

Posted by lucas_tx (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 10:06

In a previous thread I asked about an alternative to the T61 LED I bought at Home Depot that is semi-recessed and fits in a standard junction box.

That LED is made by Cree but unlike the rebranded Eco Smart, it hums when dimmed.

I have found the similar light that is not sold rebranded by HD anymore but is sold by its manufacturer LSG as the Glimpse.

Does anyone out there have any experience with the Glimpse and whether it hums when dimmed?

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Previous Thread

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Glimpse LED

I found the new Commercial Electric/Cree LED disc to look better than the LSG Glimpse, but didn't try either with a dimmer. Often changing dimmer models or brands solves the problem.

o

I've not found any reviews where someone made the HD version work with a dimmer and mine hum with a dimmer. If you find one that works, please share the info.

o

We have a Glimpse in one spot where a duct interferred with a full-size can. We bought it online, not HD and use it with a Lutron Skylark contour dimmer which was from HD. It does not hum.

o

the T61 LED that is built into a display (along with a LED can light) at my local homedepot doesn't seem to hum

o

I bookmarked Leviton Universal Dimmer for this type of problem on the recommendation of GW. Maybe it will help you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Leviton Universal Dimmer:

o

Thanks for the responses. Mehmehmeh, was the display at HD on a dimmer?

Mine are fine on a standard switch.

o

We have the HD EcoSmart Crees on dimmers and no hums. We did have to replace one dimmer with one intended for LEDS because we were getting a flicker when down low. You may just need a new dimmer. Think about it -- you have dramatically reduced the wattage being controlled and older dimmers may not be prepared to handle that.

o

The problem is that the EcoSmarts don't hum but require a can. The bulb that's in the semi recessed fixture is not the same bulb and it does hum. :-(

We used a dimmer specifically recommended for LED that works fine with the Ecosmarts.

o

The easiest remedy might be to remove the dimmer switch.

o

We did remove the dimmer. The purpose of the thread is to find out whether the brand name Glimpse hums with a dimmer. If it does not, we might consider returning what we have and getting the Glimpse.

Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here