Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mounting receptacles horizontally - faceplates

Posted by chris2009 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 21, 09 at 9:52

I want to install above-cabinet switched receptacles for lighting. My wife and I are tall, so we are trying to hide the above-cabinet receptacles as much as possible.

If I mount the recptacles horizontally, does anyone know if a faceplate exists that is bacically the size of the receptacles face (unlike normal faceplates which surround a receptacle by as much as 50% of its width on either side).

If there were such a faceplate, it would be easier to hide the receptacle.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mounting receptacles horizontally - faceplates

Receptacle cover plates are designed to cover the receptacle box and a bit more to hide the edge of the drywall. If you don't have enough molding on top of the cabinet to hide a receptacle then put the receptacle somewhere else where it can't be seen.

What kind of lighting are you putting on top of the cabinets? Some fixtures have junction boxes and don't need a receptacle.

o

Originally I was going to hardwire everything, but it would be nice to change the over cabinet lighting from time to time.

I had heard a rumor there was a unique faceplate available that was, from the best I can figure, designed to be nearly invisible. I will plan for moulding, just in case.

o

There are receptacle covers that are designed to be painted. HD was stocking them.

Wiremold makes thin receptacle strips but these are surface mounted.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here