Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
chandelier dimension for very large room

Posted by twochicklets (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 19, 11 at 9:46

Hello,
Currently we have a ceiling fan in our great room. Our great room is about 20 x 20 and also 20' high. It also opens into the kitchen, foyer and stairway and the 2nd floor landing is also open to the room. I have always imagined a HUGE, airy chandelier in the place of the little ceiling fan. I think I have really scared my DH about this, so we are turning to you, internet community, for some guidance. What do you think are the proper lighting dimensions for a chandelier in a room like this? Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: chandelier dimension for very large room

Here are some pictures of the room

Here is a link that might be useful: photos of room

o

If you get a large one make wure it is on a hoist (electrical or hand crank).

I know someone with a two story foyer in a million plus $ house who has to pay over $100 every time he wants the bulbs replaced.

He usually waits until there are a decent number out (it has over a dozen bulbs) since the cost to have the lift brought in to reach the fixture swamps everything else.

He replaces ALL the bulbs at each go round about once a year.

The lifts run around $1,000+ depending on how hard they are to install and type.

o

I know someone with a two story foyer in a million plus $ house who has to pay over $100 every time he wants the bulbs replaced.

If that chandelier were mine (which it wouldn't be :) I'd put in the best quality LED retrofits I could find, and hope for a true 50,000 hour service life.

o

":If that chandelier were mine (which it wouldn't be :) I'd put in the best quality LED retrofits I could find, and hope for a true 50,000 hour service life.

"

It would look ugly as can be and have very dim lighting,

LEDs are NOT an adequate substitute for area lighting.

They are way to directional.

o

Here you go. Big enough to fit that room and plenty of bulbs to give off enough light without being run at full power. Be sure to get a good sized stepladder for bulb changing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chandelier

o

The rule of thumb (supposedly) is to add together the room width and length in feet to get the size of the chandelier in inches. So for your 20' x 20' room you would need at least a 40" wide chandelier. Because of the height, you could get away with something even larger. I've also read that airy feeling chandeliers look larger than heavy ones. How about putting 2 chandeliers spaced evenly apart? I've seen some pictures of this online (try houzz.com) and it looks pretty nice.

Aladdin makes a lift for changing the bulbs.

Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here