Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it possible to recess light in a beam?

Posted by LRy511 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 12, 11 at 9:36

I am renovating my kitchen. The obtrusive beam hanging in the kitchen will be recessed into the ceiling, however, this impacts the lighting. My sink will be moved down about 6 inches. The recessed light will need to be moved over. I would like to center it between the other two lights, but the recessed beam may be in the way. Thanks for your help.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it possible to recess light in a beam?

Need more information. You say the beam will be recessed into the ceiling. Is the ceiling coming down or the beam going up? Is what is shown in the picture a wood beam, a decorative wood box or a wood box surrounding a metal beam. If it's the latter you will be limited by how far above the ceiling the beam ends up.

o

The beam will be going up into the ceiling. We took a peek inside from what we can tell from a two inch hole is the beam is wood and not metal and it is not decorative but holding up my sons bedroom.

o

It is likely to be a major task to cut into that beam enough to fit a can light.

It would likely be far easier to move the other lights slightly to get an even spacing.

Or you could just remove them and put a better fixture up for area lighting.

o

Then you don't want to make a hole in the beam big enough to fit a can and allow for proper ventilation. Rearranging the other recessed lights or going to pendants and flush mounts are your best choices.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here