Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Outdoor Lighting needs

Posted by crabapplemcn (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 13, 09 at 9:13

I am planning a low voltage landscape lighting design for the front of my house and have a few questions. I am looking at roughly 6- 50W spotlights and 6- 50/75W Well lights. My questions involve transformers and placement. Should I get a 600W multi-tap transformer and if so, should it be placed inside or outside? If inside, what about a photocell? Who do you suggest as an online ratailer for the supplies and any experience with landscape lighting world or USA light and electric?
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Outdoor Lighting needs

You will need to determine the total wattage required for the lighting fixtures, in this case 300W for spotlights and 450W for the well lights. You will see I used 75W instead of 50W to determine the wattage based on worst case scenario. You may find 50W doesn't provide enough lighting for your taste.
Next you need to determine if the manufacturer offers transformers that will provide enough power. Most have a number of different wattages you can order to meet your specific needs. Inyour case it might be cheaper to buy one 300W xfmr rather than two 140W xfmr.
You also need to find out if the manufacturer provides hard-wired or plug-in, and which type suits your need. If you go plug-in, you need to provide a receptacle with a GFCI, weatherproof receptacle and a while-in-use cover, near the location of the xfmrs. Please note weatherproof is NOT the same as a while-in-use cover.
You will need to install and located the xfmr(s) per the manufacturer's reccomendations. If you install inside, you will need to run the extra length of low-voltage wire from the xfmr(s) to the lighting fixtures.
If you want to install a photocell, you will need to place the cell up high enough and oriented the right direction on the exterior of your house. You will also need to run a power feed from the panel to the cell, and than from the cell to the xfmr(s) OR you can tap into an existing photocell.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here