Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
installing 110 light fixtures (made in USA) in 220 home (overseas

Posted by fatlady (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 8:13

There are some light fixtures I love that I would like to install in our 220- wired house overseas. I understand I have to use different light bulbs- can I still use American light fixtures?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: installing 110 light fixtures (made in USA) in 220 home (over

Lighting has become very complicated in the last few years. What kind of lamps are used in your luminaries?

o
RE: installing 110 light fixtures (made in USA) in 220 home (over

I have no answer for your question. But perhaps can help you to find your own answer. In the USA, electrical equipment must be "labeled" or "listed" by a recognized testing laboratory as meeting their specified safety standards ( that is my abbreviated paraphrase) Two of those are UL and CSA.
So it might be advisable to first investigate if labeling or listing is required and what organizations are acceptable for that purpose.
While safety is not assured by skirting the regulations, in the USA, no one checks light fixtures that are installed in completed dwellings. So discovery of homemade fixtures is highly unlikely.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here