Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jms_ot

Ceiling lighting layout 13' x9' kitchen, 8' ceilings)

jms_OT
13 years ago

Got the demo done on my kitchen down to the old bare walls, and am about to put cans in the ceiling before working on routing new junction boxes for UCL for the walls, new electrical, plumbing, gas, etc.

My question is this: How far from the wall should I cut the holes for the cans in the ceiling? I was leaning to only doing four in the ceiling to go along with the lone pendant hanging over the sink, but am OK with doing 6 cans if it needed. PS - the cans going in are 5". Do you suggest 4 or 6 in the grid?

My 'key' light was the one in front of the fridge (large blue box), 40 inches from the wall. Then I went 50 inches down the counter to just past the oven. Squared off the other two lights 4 feet to the middle of the open floor.

The last thing I want to do is starve the kitchen for lighting in this phase of the build. The cabinets are a dark cherry color

The open wall at the bottom has a door in front of the tall pantry, and at some point a small upper cabinet and narrow countertop on the other side of the doorway.

Upper cabinets are dark green, lighter cabinets and countertop are light green. Smaller shelves will curve in front of the smaller window at the top. Small pendant light will hang in front of the large window over the sink.

Colors are for illustrative purposes only

I'm leaning to put the first row of 3 right at the edge of the countertop (24"), and the second row of 3 48" off the first row.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (3)