Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LED bulb choices

Posted by a2gemini (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 28, 12 at 6:54

Down to the wire - We have to decide on our LED bulbs for our cans.
Options
Cooper RL7 LED - good reviews 3000K. Uses a retrofit trim. Dims to 5% with LV dimmer. 636 Lumens 50000 hours

Ecosmart - screw in bulb - looks and acts almost like a regular light bulb with about a 1/2 second delay. 2700K. Dims - but reviews say does not dim as well as it claims (only to about 50%) 5 year warranty - but have heard of a few failing within the first year - red flag?

Phillips - Also have screw in models - again in the 600-650 lumen range - I think they have 2700 and 3000K

GE - New line of bulbs that either look like a PAR30 with a bunch of dots or a regular light bulb.

What has been your experience. Initially thought I wanted a regular screw bulb but am leaning towards the Coopers.

PS - I am getting a sneak preview of our lighting. With the 7 cans and 2 decorative lights - I think I will be able to see in my kitchen. Not so critical now, but with our family history of eye problems, it will be nice to have good lighting!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LED bulb choices

I've been using the Ecosmart 575, which made by Cree. I think the Cree branded CR6 has the 5 year warranty, but if memory serves me right the Home Depot Ecosmart has only a 3 year warranty. In my area, at $25+tax the Ecosmart was about half the cost of the CR6, so I figured it wasn't worth spending 2x to get the CR6 only to add another 2 years to the warranty.

I don't have the dimmer, so I can't comment on that, but I love the light. It's strikes me as much brighter than the 575 lumens rating even more than my old CFL cans that had much higher lumens ratings. I also think it casts a nice warm colored light.

o
RE: LED bulb choices

Thanks Polie
I like the finished look of the Cooper but like the 2700K a bit better.
Testing both right now
I do plan on a dimmer

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here