Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soffit fixture replacement

Posted by jxbrown (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 3:43

I have a room with soffits that are currently lighted with 8 individual 48" T12 fixtures. Since there are two bad ballasts, I would like to swap out the old fixtures for LED fixtures. I know that there are T12 retrofit kits, but since the existing fixtures can be easily removed, I don't need a fixture that is specifically designed for retrofit. Any suggestions? I have Cree retrofits in my can lights and am really happy with them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soffit fixture replacement

Cree UR or ZR series if you're only interested in LED. Both the UR and ZR are in the same approximate price range (~$100)

http://www.cree.com/Lighting/Products/Indoor/Troffers/ZR-Series

If fluorescents are ok, you could consider using T8 fixtures - lower upfront cost than the UR series.

o
RE: Soffit fixture replacement

For T8 just buy something like these (GE 132-MVPS-N) on ebay and drop them right in if your luminaires are wired for rapid start and they are in good shape. It is really your best bang for the buck, and you can get good color choice and color rendering. You can find excellent ballasts on Ebay for less than $10 if you are patient and certainly less than $15.

If the sockets are for instant start, you have to change the sockets as well. It can be challenging to find the right, unshunted, sockets, for a decent price in my experience. If the luminaires are wired with more than one lamp/luminaire to a ballast, you need multi-lamp ballasts. You can switch to this configuration if you desire. It means running ballast cables or wires PROPERLY outside the luminaires which will take some rewiring, but cost less.

For more light, use MVPS-H and for less, use MVPS-L.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here