Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blaster1492

Newbie needs feedback on kitchen lighting scheme PLEASE!

blaster1492
10 years ago

Hello everyone, I'm a total lighting novice and am about to embark on complete kitchen renovation and I could REALLY use your advice on the lighting. I have attached the layout. GC is suggesting 8 recessed 6'' lights. I am a little concerned we need more - at least 10, and we are especially wanting ample light because we have darker oak floors and are getting dark cherry cabinets (countertop will be a creamy granite). The ceilings are 9 ft tall and cabinets are 42"+a few inches of crown. I am not planning on doing pendant lights over island, just the cans and of course under cabinet lighting.

On the diagram I put lights in where they make sense to me, but again I have no idea what I'm doing. I would really appreciate some feedback. I also have a few specific questions:

1. Should I still do an over-sink light since there is a normal can pretty close?

2. The can in the middle row all the way to the right is basically right by a tall pantry. I feel like there should be a light around there but not sure how functional it will be with tall pantry right there. Any thoughts?

3. Should there be some more lighting between the first and second rows? (basically the inside of the kitchen triangle) Any solutions to space lights more effectively rather than add more lights?

THANK YOU so much for your advice. I can't tell you how appreciate I am for your thoughts and expertise!

Alex

Comments (4)