Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie needs feedback on kitchen lighting scheme PLEASE!

Posted by blaster1492 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 10, 14 at 2:49

Hello everyone, I'm a total lighting novice and am about to embark on complete kitchen renovation and I could REALLY use your advice on the lighting. I have attached the layout. GC is suggesting 8 recessed 6'' lights. I am a little concerned we need more - at least 10, and we are especially wanting ample light because we have darker oak floors and are getting dark cherry cabinets (countertop will be a creamy granite). The ceilings are 9 ft tall and cabinets are 42"+a few inches of crown. I am not planning on doing pendant lights over island, just the cans and of course under cabinet lighting.

On the diagram I put lights in where they make sense to me, but again I have no idea what I'm doing. I would really appreciate some feedback. I also have a few specific questions:

1. Should I still do an over-sink light since there is a normal can pretty close?

2. The can in the middle row all the way to the right is basically right by a tall pantry. I feel like there should be a light around there but not sure how functional it will be with tall pantry right there. Any thoughts?

3. Should there be some more lighting between the first and second rows? (basically the inside of the kitchen triangle) Any solutions to space lights more effectively rather than add more lights?

THANK YOU so much for your advice. I can't tell you how appreciate I am for your thoughts and expertise!

Alex

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie needs feedback on kitchen lighting scheme PLEASE!

At first glance it doesn't look like enough light to me, but you need a better opinion.
You really should go on the Kitchens board. Everyone there is amazing and helpful, and many people there are really, really smart And they're obsessed and on all the time..
This board (Lighting) can be helpful, but responses are slow and rare.

o

The thread below has more info

Here is a link that might be useful: Recessed lighting discussion

o

Thank you!

o

I can't help much, but my electrician put two 6" cans over my 33" wide sink. I'm not saying it was good or bad since they are not completed yet, but I think two will be better than one.

Ditto on going to Kitchen forum. Peke

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here