Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Track lighting crisis, what can I do??

Posted by taeel (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 28, 12 at 0:59

Our new place has concrete ceilings with very few existing spaces for fixtures. Contractor suggested track lighting, since the building will not let us drill for new fixtures, and even though I don't love the look of the tracks, I agreed since it seemed like the only option. We have it in the living room, kind of a u-shape, in the bedroom, and were planning on doing some in the kitchen (though I do have the electrics to put in 2 real pendants in the kitchen).

I went there tonight and they had finally hooked up the living room lights, and I HATED it.
- The second you turn it on there's this weird buzzing sound, both near the switch and near the actual lamps, that will drive me crazy. It gets even worse if you actually use the dimmer.
- The light is cold and harsh, like 8 little spotlights, so there are really bright spots and then dark ones. I'm used to diffuse yellow light.
- The ceilings are not super high so I find the glare from the fixtures really disturbing.

I have no idea what else I can do. Is there a way to fix the buzzing noise? Is there a track fixture that will be warmer and more diffuse? Is there a better way to arrange the track than in a u-shape around the sides of the room? Is there another option that does not involve me walking around the room and turning on lamps?

This is really keeping me up at night:(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Track lighting crisis, what can I do??

We bought the lights below from Home Depot and they provide very nice lighting in our basement rec room. They have a halogen bulb which is a whiter, brighter light but the frosted glass shades diffuse it nicely.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
If you want a more yellow light you could get some lights with a wheat or amber glass shade such as the one below
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Since you already have the track up you could just buy new light separately. Of course you need to see if the track size and light plug in size are compatible.
Both of the lights I posted are Hampton Bay brand lights. Good luck solving your lighting problem.

o

"The second you turn it on there's this weird buzzing sound, both near the switch and near the actual lamps, that will drive me crazy. It gets even worse if you actually use the dimmer. "

Sounds like low voltage lighting on a dimmer switch.

You often need a special dimmer to even attempt to control low voltage lighting.

o

Thanks. Badgergal- we do have hampton bay, I'll try another track fixture.

Brickeyee- I'm pretty sure the ones we have are low voltage. If we wanted to do a switch with a dimmer, what switch would you suggest? Have a Decora on there now.

o

You need a dimmer tat the lighting manufacturer says will work with their parts.

Even when fully on a conventional dimmer distorts the voltage going through to the load.

So called 'magnetic dimmers' use a different device, but depending on how the120 VAC is being turned into low voltage (and often low voltage DC) you need to ask the light manufacturer what is compatible.

Some 'slid state' transformer designs (actually small power supplies) simply cannot be dimmed.

In the mean time, remove the dimmer and hook up a regular on-off snap switch.

The transformer or other electronics can overheat enough to catch on fore with the wrong dimmer.

o

Have you considered cove lighting - light bars hidden from view using crown molding? The light is reflected off the ceiling and there are no spots of light

o

You need a Magnetic Low Voltage Dimmer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here