Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
taeel

Track lighting crisis, what can I do??

taeel
12 years ago

Our new place has concrete ceilings with very few existing spaces for fixtures. Contractor suggested track lighting, since the building will not let us drill for new fixtures, and even though I don't love the look of the tracks, I agreed since it seemed like the only option. We have it in the living room, kind of a u-shape, in the bedroom, and were planning on doing some in the kitchen (though I do have the electrics to put in 2 real pendants in the kitchen).

I went there tonight and they had finally hooked up the living room lights, and I HATED it.

- The second you turn it on there's this weird buzzing sound, both near the switch and near the actual lamps, that will drive me crazy. It gets even worse if you actually use the dimmer.

- The light is cold and harsh, like 8 little spotlights, so there are really bright spots and then dark ones. I'm used to diffuse yellow light.

- The ceilings are not super high so I find the glare from the fixtures really disturbing.

I have no idea what else I can do. Is there a way to fix the buzzing noise? Is there a track fixture that will be warmer and more diffuse? Is there a better way to arrange the track than in a u-shape around the sides of the room? Is there another option that does not involve me walking around the room and turning on lamps?

This is really keeping me up at night:(

Comments (6)