Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tmnca

DIY replacing a fluorescent box

Tmnca
11 years ago

I would like to replace the lighting in our kitchen - currently one of those big ugly old buzzing fluorescent boxes. I bought an LED track light fixture and was all ready to do it (I have changed regular non-fluorescent ceiling light fixtures out before). I turned off the breaker, tested the switch to confirm and took off the cover. I have a plastic sided ladder good for electric. I removed the bulbs and started to unscrew the fixture from the ceiling... but twice when I touched the metal box with the screwdriver, I got a little shock, probably static. But it scared me, and then I realized I'd have to remove the ballast cover to get at more screws. I chickened out and put the bulbs back in and left it!

Electricians in our area will charge over $250 to do this simple job, so I was hoping to just do it myself.

Is static charge a common problem with these fixtures and is there a way to discharge it? Or is it possible there was actually some dangerous current leak? I have a voltage tester but there was nothing to test without removing the metal box.

Comments (7)