Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question - Brand of 4-inch Halogen Recessed for Remodel

Posted by yaupon (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 13, 13 at 23:37

I am in the process of a remodel and am trying to decide on a brand of 4-inch halogen low-voltage dimmable housing for about 50 lights.

My contractor is a fan of the Nora brand of this project, but I have found a supplier of Elite products that can provide the housing for signficantly less.

In addition, the trim the contractor is familiar with is Elco, and again, the supplier with the good price has suggested a comprable Elite product.

My contractor's preference for Nora is that with the installation of thousands of this brand of lights he has had no humming or complaints from clients. His suggestion is that I pay $15 - $20 more for each Nora housing to insure that the humming is not an issue.

Can I substitute the Elite housing for the Nora without a loss of quality, and likewise substitute the Elite baffle for the Elco for the same reason?

In addition, is one housing easier than another to install? Will the electrician have a more difficult time with either brand?

Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question - Brand of 4-inch Halogen Recessed for Remodel

I only have 6 4-inch fixtures, but they were going through those halogen bulbs faster than I thought they should and the bulbs were getting more and more expensive. I still need them for my vent hood, but we replaced the halgens with LED kits. The look is cleaner, the light is better and they don't build up the heat that the halogens do. If I had 50 of them, I'd certainly go with the LEDs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here