Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
CFLs that produce an attractive light - Do they exist?

Posted by bellajourney (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 6, 12 at 23:20

One of our fixtures came with two 13 watt CFLs. The light that they produce is well, hideous. We then tried another CFL light that claimed to be warm and mimic halogen, but it was just as ugly. :(

Does anyone have a CFL recommendation that actually produces an aesthetically pleasing light? Or are they all terrible?

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: CFLs that produce an attractive light - Do they exist?

I used Panasonic CFLs which have a better light color than Sylvania, Lights of America.

I would just buy a couple as they will be surpassed by LEDs such as the L prize bulb from Philips (which should be imminently available)

o

Thanks, davidtay! I really appreciate your reply and will look into both of your suggestions. :)

o

The cheapo Ecosmart 14w 4-packs sold at Home Depot look good to me - and are also small and turn on at nearly full brightness.

The GE "bright from the start" glass-enclosed CFLs (15w or 20w) also give off good light, as long as you stick to the "energy smart" version and avoid the strange-looking Reveal bulbs, which look nothing like the like-named halogen lamps.

o

Just a comment on this whole eco/long life CFL scam. How many burnt bulbs of these to folks have piled up waiting to take to the disposal centre. Yes the price of them has come down, but so has their quality... lasts 7 years? yeh right. I even had 2 of them fill the room with smoke when they blew.I don't recall that ever happening with a incandescent.From now on I'm going to write their install date on the base everytime I replace one to keep track ...what a scam!

o

CFLs often smoke when they fail. Dimmers with CFLs not intended for use with dimmers will often cause sudden failure with smoke and sometimes fire. It is not the fluorescent tube that fails, but the "ballast".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here