Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of bulb for bathroom?

Posted by ereed (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 2, 08 at 23:13

I bought new light fixture that goes over the mirror vanity. Its 4 bulb 100 watt max med size bulbs. Do I want soft white, bright white, daylight white, energy saver florescents, reveal? I want it to be alot of light but pleasing and true color as well. The vanity light is my only light in the bathroom and its 100 sq feet in size if that helps. I just don't know what bulb is best. Opinions from all you light experts please!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of bulb for bathroom?

What type of light fixture? Is it the type with four downward facing globes or the horizontal type with four bulbs, two facing in and two facing out. I have this type in one bathroom and I have installed four curly florescents that are the equivalent of 40 watts each. It lights the bathroom very nicely.

o
RE: What kind of bulb for bathroom?

You do not want to use daylight white bulbs. Daylight bulbs do give truer colors, with higher CRI (color rendering index), but they are not flattering to skin color. The light is a little too "blue", with not enough emphasis on reds.

For fluorescent, look for a bulb with a color temperature between 2700K and 3500K. The lower end will give better light for skin tones. The higher temperatures will give you a more "white" light, but tend to make skin look a little cold. If no color temperature is listed, look for a warm light bulb, with a CRI above 80.

For incandescent bulbs, I like to use GE Reveal bulbs. Soft Whites are probably fine as well, and less expensive.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here