Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lighting Plan for Kitchen

Posted by ayerg73 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 11, 12 at 22:29

I'm in the beginning stages of a kitchen remodel and I'm not sure where to start with the lighting.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Here's the floorplan...
kitchenplansfeb7

I am considering a fixture like this over the island -

428F2690-6RBZ-1
Dimensions: L: 37 1/2'' W: 18 1/4'' H: 7 1/4''
Lamping: 6 medium A - Line 100w Max.

Or would pendants be a better choice?

How much recess lighting should I plan for? The kitchen is fairly dark right now. I am opening up a wall to let in more natural light and putting in cream cabinets to help lighten it up as well - but want to make sure there is ample lighting.

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's the Feiss lighting collection with other options

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lighting Plan for Kitchen

See the led recessed can thread. There's quite a bit of info.

As for the fixture over the island, that depends on the style of the rest of the kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Recessed lighting for kitchens

o
RE: Lighting Plan for Kitchen

I've put in a Home Depot "EcoSmart 575" dimmable LED recessed light in my kitchen to test it. I learned on one of the threads that davidtay has referred to that it's essentially the same bulb as the Cree CR6 branded bulb. In NYC at least, it sells for $25 plus tax versus the $50 or so for the Cree branded bulb. It even has the Cree name on the information tag. It carries a 3 year instead of a 5 year warranty, however. So 50% off the price for just 40% less warranty is how I look at it. (I'm not sure why the non HD vendors are taking this lying down.)

In any case, it produces a nice warm white light. It truly is instant on, too. One thing, I kept thinking it was my imagination until davidtay explained the rationale, but this EcoSmart bulb rated for 575 lumens seems just as bright as my old 900 lumens bulb. I'm really happy with it.

The thread he refers to also discusses how many recessed lights to use for a space as well as ideal placement. So helpful!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here