Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
idahogal_gw

Help, how do I upload a pdf file?

idahogal
17 years ago

I want to upload my kitchen for some lighting advice, but it is in Adobe. It seems like it needs to be a jpeg, tif or gif to get it online. Anyone know how to do this or get around this?

Comments (3)

• hybrid8
    17 years ago

Adobe is a corporation, not a product or a file format.

PDF, which you states in the subject correctly, means "Portable Document Format" - it is the file format created by Adobe's Acrobat software (and many other programs since Adobe publishes the PDF specification).

That file format is actually a meta format of sorts and can contain all sorts of information in it, including illustration file formats, text as well as bitmap graphics in various image formats.

You can upload any file to a web host or file hosting service. Not all file types will display in someone's browser and certainly not all files will display inline on one of these forum messages.

If you want to just include a text link to the file you can insert a standard HTML anchor tag pointing to the hosted file or you can use the "Optional Link URL" feature included at the bottom of the posting/edit box.

If you would like an image to appear inside your post then you should send up a file in a format that will display properly in the majority of people's web browsers and can be used with the HTML "img" tag. Definitely not a TIFF. A JPEG or PNG is recommended.

Depending on what software you're using to view or edit PDF files on your computer you may be able to Save or Export the images you want out of the file. Otherwise one very easy way is to do a screen or window capture while viewing the file. The resulting image can then be cropped if needed (to remove any desktop/window graphics that don't belong in the original photo).

If this is all Greek to you, you might be better off just uploading the PDF as first mentioned and including its URL in the "Optional Link URL" below. As long as someone has a PDF plugin or viewer they'll be able to view it. Then maybe someone will be nice enough to strip out the pictures you want out of the file. If I see this thread again and you've uploaded the file I can do it if you'd like.

Bruno

• idahogal
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Bruno, thanks for the help. When I went to tinypic.com and selected browse to look for my document, it said that the pdf was not a valid format and then it had the acceptable ones listed (jpg,png,bmp,gif,tif). Do I need to convert it to one of those?

• Jon1270
    17 years ago

An easy way to get a jpeg out of a PDF is to open the PDF file, adjust it so that the view you want to convert is visible on the screen, and use 'Shift/Print Screen' to copy it to the clipboard. You can then open Paint (standard on Windows machines), paste the copied image into a new Paint file, and simply save it as a jpeg.