Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sanjuangirl

Lighting Back splash with warm and dimming lights

sanjuangirl
12 years ago

We're starting a kitchen remodel and am spending heavily on the back splash. I want it to be beautifully lit with warm lights that can be dimmed. I don't have any lights over my stove top now and will be installing lighting in the overhead cabinet to light my 3 ft. wide by 4.5 ft. high back splash. Since they're mounted in the cabinet they need to be flush. I don't like led's, too cold. At Lamps Plus they recommended using 3 halogen "puck"s over the stove and 32" xenon's around the perimeter. The xenon's are very pricey and I need at least 6.

This is my first remodel and I can't afford costly mistakes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (5)

• David
    12 years ago

LED lighting is also available in 2700k color which will address the issue of coldness.

You'll probably be looking at direct wire options.

You may find the following link helpful as it covers issues that have to be considered in the prep and decision process.

Here is a link that might be useful: LED UCL continuation.

• sanjuangirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the link. Being a newbie to remodels and no electrician; this link is over my head. What do you think of the xenon alternative or the halogens? Are the LED's really capable of casting warm light?

• David
    12 years ago

Regardless of whether you're doing it yourself or hiring a Kitchen Designer and/ or GC, there are constraints, implications, ... that you should be aware of. Take some time to read through the information and understand it.

Xenons and halogens are hotter than either t4 fluorescents or LED. You will feel the heat through the cabinet bottom after a short time. Fluorescents can also run hotter than LED - you can feel the heat through the cabinet bottom (if the fixture is left on 24/7).
    In certain places, you'd be subject to energy efficiency laws. For example, in California, you're subject to title 24 which mandates that no more than 50% of the wattage expended on lighting can be used for incandescent lighting.

Yes, LEDs are capable of casting a warm light. The CR6 downlight and the MaxLite LED UCL bars for example are available at 2700k.

• a2gemini
    12 years ago

davidtay and others
    Light store (not box store) is discouraging the 2700 cans - I like the warm look of them but LS says I would be making a mistake.
    I plan to find one of each before making a decision -
    Who has been happy with the 2700 vs 3000?
    The UC will be 3000.
    Thanks

• David
    12 years ago

Use whatever you like best. After all, it's your home.

My UCL and range hood lights are at a higher temp (3k) while the main lighting is 2700k (as I had envisaged).

Most home lighting is 2700k to provide a warm cosy environment. That is not to say that a higher color temp cannot be used at all in a home or that certain areas cannot be illuminated with higher temp color lighting (eg - study areas, garage, etc).

The Sylvania RT6 is 3000k. I don't quite like it - harsher than Cree, dimming performance not as good.

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz