Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oh, no! Another kitchen island lighting question?

Posted by coffeehaus (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 19, 09 at 21:04

Our kitchen will have 3 mono-point pendants over our island, spaced 18 inches apart. I'm looking at a low-voltage LBL fixture that comes in either a 3.5 inch shade/35w or 5.75 inch shade/50w with xenon bi-pin bulb. I like the smaller size shade, as it would be less intrusive, but I'm concerned about the amount of light for task lighting on the island. On the other hand, I could always dim the 50w lamps if it seems too bright. We'll have recessed cans (LR6) as well, but they are in line with the edges of the counters, so no cans over the island.
I've tried to figure lumens with these bulbs, and the best I can tell is that the 35w produces 420 lumens, and the 50w produces 600 lumens (this gleaned from commercial websites selling similar replacement bulbs, I think!). The island is about 3.5x6 ft., or 21 sq. ft. Would the three 35w xenon bulbs suffice, or should I go with 50w?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oh, no! Another kitchen island lighting question?

What pendent are you looking at? Some just look better in there bigger size.... Either way your fine but let me know which pendent becuqse I've seen almost everyone....I'm one of the top 100 lbl dealers in the country

o

Clay I and Clay II

o

i had a feeling thats what you were talking about....don't forget you can put a MR16 and get a ton of downlight.....i would use a 50 in that b/c it does cut out some light so it won't be overly glarey. just so you know that one does look like ceramic but is glass.....i'm at One Stop Lighting in thousand oaks, CA if you want to look it up and get a price....let me know, i'd go with the bigger one.....small is small for a pendent, its better as a spot light then a pendent....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here