Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lighting issues/ Do I have to give up my ceiling beams? (pics)

Posted by sherwhy (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 25, 10 at 20:47

I hope I'm posting in the correct forum. It's a lighting issue but involves my ceiling beams. The floor plan shows my designed beams as dotted lines. Contractor says the one beam running over the kitchen island will look odd with the placement of the pendant lights.

Does it matter if the placement of the pendants are not equally spaced away from the beam?

What do you all think? Should I only put the beams in the living room area and nix the ones separating the kitchen and dining? I really wanted that one defining the dining area. Any other solutions?

Thank you!
kitchen lighting layout
* In the image below, the beam would run closer to the blue recepticle.

trusses with lights
* Below is the living room showing beams coming off of fireplace area and dining area to the right of the kitchen.
Floor plan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lighting issues/ Do I have to give up my ceiling beams? (pics

The beams need to be believable and in the correct places to appear as if they supported the structure or they then become the odd looking items if just thrown in where convenient. Having a cable supported pendant passing closer to a beam is just a reality of working with structural support that doesn't line up with interior features. Perhaps if everything was designed from scratch you could have perfection. If the breakfast/dining area was pushed out you could make the island longer or scoot it over. Not likely right?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here