Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
burntfingers

LED 'color' for kitchen - thoughts?

burntfingers
12 years ago

We are putting recessed LED lighting in our kitchen (completely new construction). The kitchen will have 10 1/2 foot ceilings, and this lighting is planned for general lighting over the work area. (Will probably also have under cabinet lighting, but I'm not sure we're going to have upper cabinets everywhere there is a counter/work area.)

I've read a lot of the threads on GW, and done research on the various Kelvin colors. I've gone to HD and Lowe's and Lamps Plus to try to look at the various "colors" created --managed to see nominal 2700k, 3000k lights. And, I bought a 4" Sylvania 3000k unit and hooked it up in "the kitchen" to see what the light would look like in place.(Bought the Sylvania because it was the cheapest to use as a "throw away" - probably would not be using that "for real"(it was only 9 watts and I've been told we probably want 14), and certainly won't be using 4"...)

SO here's my question: given the height of the ceiling, and the fact that this may have to do for task lighting as well as just general illumination, and adding in that my eyes aren't what they used to be -- what would you recommend? The 4" 3000k light seemed pretty dim when we mocked it up at ceiling level - I'd definitely have to turn on additional lighting to work comfortably. But I don't want a harsh lighting either. Does anyone have 3500k lighting?

Experts, please weigh in!

Thanks!

Comments (4)