Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone using par38 LED's in the kitchen?

Posted by cruzmisl (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 17, 11 at 19:45

Hi All,
I tried a few of the feit Par 38 LED's available from HD. They light up instantly, are quiet and have great color and brightness. Only thing I find is the light is so concentrated that the counter below the light is great, I could do surgery there is so much light. Trouble is the diffuse light common with a par30 standard light or CFL doesn't seem to be there. Also I get quite a shadow under the upper cabinet despite my xenon undercabinet lighting. I don't know what the beam spread of the bulbs are but I really like them otherwise. Any ideas or opinions?
Thanks,
Joe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone using par38 LED's in the kitchen?

Recessed cans are already directional lighting devices with no indirect component. Add to that the fact that LEDs are by nature directional, and you have what you see.

If CFs give a beamspread that you find satisfactory, that would be the way to go.

Alternatively, you might install one or two good quality linear-lamp fluorescent fixture(s) in the middle of the ceiling, to provide better general room lighting. That way you could use the LEDeified cans for what they're good at - accent lights.

o

There are LED bulbs out there that have a beam spread like a flood light. You may have purchased a spot light. Here is a website I've been looking to buy some bulbs from. Scroll down and you will see some of these bulbs have as little as 25 degree beam but some have 100-120 degree beam (flood)

Here is a link that might be useful: LED bulbs

o

Thanks! Anyone know what the beam spread is for an average CFL flood so I can purchase accordingly?

o

The average beam spread on an R40 or PAR38 CFL flood is 35-40 degrees.

Sharp makes a really nice PAR38 LED with a 25 degree beam spread.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here