Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
GU10 +C base, what is the +C ?

Posted by wildboar (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 2, 10 at 19:31

Kenmore Elite (Broan) range hood with 4 x 50watt MR16 GU10+C bulbs.

We were running it off 3 bulbs since one had burned out, gently. I push the control to go all the way to 3rd level, 50 watt brightness, and another bulb blows, bright flash, the whole unit shuts down, silence.

I go flip the breaker and it comes back on, fan works fine, but now the lights won't go off. Control module now has a shorted light circuit, fused, on permanently, according to the Broan tech I spoke with. No fixing the control module.

Now, I'm having trouble finding what the GU10 +C base of the bulbs is, exactly. I find only one reference to a -C base having a built in fuse so that a violent blowout like that won't trip the breaker. Obviously this did not happen for me and a simple bulb burning out has now turned into a terrifying possibility of a $100 control module if/everytime it shorts again like that.

So, can someone clarify is there a GU10-C that would have saved my control unit, as opposed to just picking up some regular GU10 Sylvania or GE's at the store?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: GU10 +C base, what is the +C ?

Traditionally in the commercial or entertainment lamp industry, a notation of +C on a GU10 simply refers to plus cover. Often an additional glass will be over the lamp for color, safety or emmissions control. That in and of itself would not have had any effect on your lamp blowing issue. GU10's are 120v lamps not low voltage MR16s, if that helps. Tony

o
RE: GU10 +C base, what is the +C ?

Thanks for the help, that clears it all up for me. Sounds like I should be able to just pick up some decent brand name lights and that's about as good as I can hope for with this range hood.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here