Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
our thoughts vs. the lighting designer's...need an opinion!

Posted by docellie (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 19, 12 at 18:28

We have a relatively small kitchen 13x17, with black titanium granite on cream cabinets, as well as a 5 foot 2-tier island. We've chosen a Hubbardton Forge light over the kitchen table, as well as semi-flush lights from the same collection for over the kitchen window and in the hallway. The lighting designer says that, because the kitchen is relatively small, we should have 2 pendants that match the rest of the lights. I and my teenage kids want color, and want colorful smaller glass pendants on cables over the island. DH doesn't care. Designer says no. BTW, we have lots of recessed lighting, don't need lots for over the island. I know that we should do what we like...but I'm afraid it will be too much, and that matching pendants will make a "completed" look.......Help!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hubbardton Forge Sweeping Taper series

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: our thoughts vs. the lighting designer's...need an opinion!

Well, do you want to bring it all together or have a nice accent over the island? Using the coordinating Hubbardton Forge pendants would bring it together and you're all matchy-matchy which is a pretty safe way to go. Using the colorful smaller glass pendants would be a nice accent IMO. I'd go rather small and narrow due to the size of the island and use 2-3 of them depending on the width/diameter of the pendant. Personally, I like the majority of my house to coordinate with special accents here & there like those pendants you & your kids like. And as I had to point out time & time again to different designers & subs--Lots of thought has gone into this decision and while I appreciate your insight/input, I am the one who has to live in the house when it's finished--not you, so please order and install what I have selected.

Hope this helps!

o
RE: our thoughts vs. the lighting designer's...need an opinion!

Well said dreamhome! As the homeowner, you have to please yourself. Don't be afraid of telling the lighting designer you are doing your own thing. I love the idea of a pop of color over your island. A relatively painless way to do this is to go with inexpensive mini pendants from one of the box stores. They have lots of colorful shade choices. If you decided you can't live with them,you can always replace them later.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here