Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Resizing A Pendant Light

Posted by cottageandcreek (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 22, 11 at 18:15

Hi all,
I'd like to purchase a Hudson Valley schoolhouse pendant for over my sink and I'm wondering how easy it is to size it correctly when it's the kind with the solid pole stem. It states it's 66-1/2" in length by 7-1/2" wide. It must come in section, though the website doesn't state that nor does the actual Hudson Valley site state that it comes in sections, like some of the stem-type pendants do. Is it as simple as cutting the stem with a hack saw? Or do you just configure it according to whatever pieces come with it? I read the light should be hung 40-inches above the kitchen prep space. Does that seem good? Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Resizing A Pendant Light

"It states it's 66-1/2" in length by 7-1/2" wide. "

The pole?

That is huge. The "7-1/2" wide" must be the globe of the fixture.

The pole is actually electrical conduit with a decorative finish.
Depending on what method is available to make joints (threaded fittings or clamps) you may be able to just cut it down as needed, or you may need to be able to cut threads after cutting it down.

o
RE: Resizing A Pendant Light

It's likely a thin wall pipe and not solid so a hacksaw should easily cut it to length. Read the directions and determine how how the pieces will fit together after you make a cut. Measure accurately because you don't want to piece things back together. I would gauge the height by how much headroom is needed, other available lighting and what you want to light.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here