Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Track Lighting Question

Posted by andersog (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 28, 11 at 17:53

I have a track lighting system in which the strip is line voltage, and each light fixture has a transformer in it which converts to low voltage. Is it an issue in a single track to have different bulb types and wattages? I have 2 strips, each with 4 halogens, and aside from the 400 W of energy, it gets hot in my kitchen in the summer. I was thinking of switching some of the bulbs to LED's to lower the power useage and heat generated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Track Lighting Question

I don't see any harm in changing some or all of your lights to lower wattage incandescent bulbs, if they're available.

I've also seen a few low voltage LED retrofit lamps that look like they'd work with track lights.

Be careful, though - a lot (maybe the majority) of LED manufacturers' and vendors' claims for incandescent equivalence are completely bogus. I see vendors claiming a 1 watt LED is equivalent to a 20 watt incandescent, or that a 3 watt LED is equal to a 40 or 60 watt incandescent. This is WAY off the mark. Compare lumen output, not equivalence claims.

Many of the cheap LED retrofits also don't come close to their advertised average life.

o
RE: Track Lighting Question

Thanks. I have a few LED bulbs which use considerably less energy, however as you say they provide less actual light output. As a result I was planning on only switching half of the lights to LED's. I have 2 - 6 foot tracks, each with 4 lights, currently 50 W each = 200 W. If I replace just half of the lights I'd save almost 200 W and the heat output in my kitchen would be less (ie I would replace 2 on each track to balance the lighting).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here