Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Advice On Family Room Recessed Lighting Layout

Posted by speedytahiti (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 23, 13 at 16:52

Hello,

I am attempting to layout recessed lighting for my Family Room, but am running into problems because the room is not square/rectangular. The fireplace is on a diagonal in one "corner" of the room. There is a ceiling fan with light kit in the center(ish) of the room, so the recessed lights would presumably be around the perimeter to put more light on the sofas.

I plan on using Ecosmart CR6 LED bulbs.

Thanks in advance, any advice is appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Advice On Family Room Recessed Lighting Layout

Probably no more than 6 will be necessary (if symmetry is necessary). The lighting requirement is less than a kitchen and the fireplace side could be left unlit.

There is quite a bit of information in the LED recessed can guide for the kitchen thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: LED recessed discussion

o

Thanks Davidtay!

I definitely would prefer if the layout was symmetrical, but that's the concept I'm having trouble grasping with the diagonal wall (fireplace). I would also, if possible, like to incorporate a 4" gimbal spot over the fireplace to accentuate a framed picture.

I have read through a majority of your LED recessed lighting discussion, and have found it quite helpful in determining my lighting requirements for our kitchen.

o

A picture light might provide better and more uniform lighting for the picture than a 4" gimbal.

You could treat the space like a 13' x 11' 7" area to be lit and place the lights accordingly.
In that scenario, the nearest downlight will be ~ 5'+ away from the TV.

o

The ceiling fan isn't centered in the room??

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here