Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dilettante_gw

3-way LED bulbs

dilettante_gw
11 years ago

Several of my lamps take 3-way bulbs, so I've been keeping an eye out for energy-efficient alternatives to 3-way incandescents. I'm not a fan of CFLs, and the currently available 3-way CFLs are too large for most of my lsmps anyway, so I've been hoping someone would come out with a 3-way LED.

Finally, a 3-way LED has been announced, and I thought some of you would be interested in hearing about it. It's by a company called SWITCH, and it won a prize for best innovation in lighting at CES (Consumer Electronics Show) 2013 last month. It's not in stores yet, but it's supposed to be available by April.

SWITCH's initial 3-way LED will only be the equivalent of a 25/50/75-watt incandescent, so it won't solve my 3-way lamping problem. It's also likely to be pricey because it will be the only 3-way LED on the market, and SWITCH's regular LED bulbs are expensive. (Their 40- and 60-watt incandescent equivalents are over $50 each right now, compared to $12-$15 per bulb by Philips and other big companies.) But other versions are sure to follow, and prices will eventually come down.

Here is a link that might be useful: Article about SWITCH 3-way LEDs

Comments (4)